Website Scholastic Canada
Scholastic Canada is the country’s leading publisher and distributor of children’s books in both official languages. For over 60 years, Scholastic Canada has introduced young people to the joy of reading.
At Scholastic Canada, we embrace and celebrate diversity in our people, products and ideas. A diverse workforce and inclusive, supportive workplace are central to our success, enabling us to ensure that our books are reflective of the children and families we serve and to deepen our relationships with customers, colleagues, and communities. We welcome all applicants, and strongly encourage individuals from groups who are marginalized and underrepresented in the publishing industry to apply. Please see our websitefor more information about our ongoing commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
An opening exists in the Trade Division for the position of Publicity Associate reporting to Senior Manager, Marketing and Publicity.
Work Location: This position works out of our Toronto downtown office located at 604 King St. West. Our team is currently splitting time in the office and at home. Expectation is that the office is this person’s primary work location, with flexibility for some days at home.
- Communicating with and providing publicity support for Scholastic’s Canadian and International authors and illustrators.
- Coordinating all aspects of events and appearances for creators, working with key accounts, such as Indigo and independent bookstores
- Coordinating and planning Scholastic’s involvement at key festivals and conferences, such as OLA Super Conference and Word on the Street
- Planning and creating effective pitches to all national and local media
- Managing traditional media mailing list and Influencer mailing list, and all related mailings
- Staying on top of trends in the children’s book landscape, seeking new opportunities for author and book promotion
- Working closely with entire Marketing & Publicity team, participating in weekly brainstorms, strategy sessions, and lending support where needed
- Sharing all publicity updates and company-wide communications regarding Scholastic books and author news
- Actively participating in seasonal sales conferences, wider department meetings, creating presentation decks and presenting as needed
- 3-4 years of relevant publicity/marketing experience (experience working within the publishing industry would be an asset)
- Understanding of and interest in the children’s book landscape (familiarity with different children’s book authors, illustrators, events etc.)
- Thorough understanding of the principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and how these concepts can be implemented in the context of the role
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to confidently give presentations
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- The ability to work autonomously, but also an energetic presence in a team environment
- Experience with event coordination with the ability to travel locally as needed
- Ability to physically assist with unloading and packing boxes at conferences and events
- Good understanding of and interest in social media marketing tools such
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (including PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Teams)
- Knowledge of BNC SalesData /CataList and Book Manager is an asset
- French language skills are an asset
- Valid driver’s license is an asset
Some of the benefits we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Health and Dental Benefits
- RRSP Program
- Paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Employee discounts on Scholastic books and merchandise
Interested applicants are asked to forward a copy of their resume by January 26 2024
We are committed to ensuring that the accessibility needs of all applicants are considered and accommodated at every stage of the recruitment process. Please connect with us if you require an accommodation or have any questions.
We want to thank you for your interest in working with Scholastic, however only those candidates who have been selected to proceed to the next stage will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com