Website Scholastic Canada
Scholastic Canada is the country’s leading publisher and distributor of children’s books in both official languages. For over 60 years, Scholastic Canada has introduced young people to the joy of reading.
At Scholastic Canada, we embrace and celebrate diversity in our people, products and ideas. A diverse workforce and inclusive, supportive workplace are central to our success, enabling us to ensure that our books are reflective of the children and families we serve and to deepen our relationships with customers, colleagues, and communities.
We welcome all applicants, and strongly encourage individuals from groups who are marginalized and underrepresented in the publishing industry to apply. Please see here for more information about our ongoing commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
An opening exists in the Publishing Division for the position of Editor reporting to Vice President of Publishing.
Work Location: This is a hybrid position splitting time between working out of our Toronto downtown office located at 604 King St. West as well as from home.
- Acquiring and developing child-focused and commercial children’s books: fiction, non-fiction and picture books, to meet the needs of Scholastic’s Trade and School markets and our commitment to diverse publishing.
- Editing manuscripts (and supervising freelancers as required) including fact-checking, photo research, desktop publishing and proofreading.
- Initiating book proposals and shepherding them through the cost analysis, approval and scheduling process.
- Supervising projects through the illustration and production process; working knowledgeably with designers and production in anticipating and solving problems and meeting deadlines.
- Maintaining relationships with authors and illustrators
- Maintaining awareness of market trends and specific Scholastic marketing needs.
- Post-secondary education with at least 5 years of related work experience
- Demonstrated communication, organizational and creative problem-solving skills
- The ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Proficient keyboarding skills and experience with Microsoft Office applications and desktop publishing software
Some of the benefits we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Health and Dental Benefits
- RRSP Program
- Paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Employee discounts on Scholastic books and merchandise
Interested applicants are asked to forward a copy of their resume by September 14, 2023 to:
Human Resources Division
We are committed to ensuring that the accessibility needs of all applicants are considered and accommodated at every stage of the recruitment process. Please connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation or have any questions.
We want to thank you for your interest in working with Scholastic, however only those candidates who have been selected to proceed to the next stage will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com