Our mission is to create a vibrant community of readers and writers by celebrating diverse authors and literature in Brampton, Ontario – one of Canada’s most culturally diverse cities.
- To celebrate diversity in literature by promoting authors from marginalized communities in a unique and culturally diverse city.
- To present a diverse range of stories (1) that are underrepresented in literary settings, (2) that reflect variations in geography, ethnicity, race, culture, gender, ability, sexual orientation, and religion, (3) employ different methods of story-telling.
- To bring established and emerging writers, educators, and literary professionals together with readers from all walks of life to celebrate and expand Canada’s body of diverse literature.
- To provide aspiring writers with the opportunity to develop their skills and improve their writing by connecting them with other writers and by providing them with professional development opportunities that allow them to learn
- To provide educators (teachers, librarians and parents) with the resources to teach and train young people to read diversely.
- To create a unique space through readings, performances, panels, discussions and professional development workshops, a unique space where readers can engage with experienced artists who reflect the diversity that plays a fundamental role in our local and national identity.
OUR GOALS & ARTISTIC OBJECTIVES
- Promote authors whose diverse literature inspires acceptance, empathy, and equality
- Connect readers with authors who reflect and promote diversity
- Develop a community of strong, diverse writers in Brampton
- Foster literacy and an appreciation for reading, especially in young people and children
- Expand the Canadian readership of diverse authors by sharing their stories with educators
- Advocate for inclusion and equity in Canadian publishing
- Establish Brampton’s place on Canada’s literary map